How to Write a Good Blog Post [Step by Step Guide]
Today, I’m going to share with you the ultimate guide on how to write a good blog post or the format in writing a successful blog post. This article is detailed and has a step-by-step guide on how to write a good blog post article that is seen by your audience, follow SEO best practices and will boost your organic keywords. Hence, drive a lot of traffic to your website or blog.
Are you getting litte to NO traffic from search engines? Then stick around to learn the method used by most bloggers like myself, copywriters and guest bloggers when it comes to how to a good blog post.
In recent time, I’ve been making some great changes on my blog. I’m writing more SEO-friendly blog posts and I’ve been adhering to all SEO protocols. If you’re a beginner, I’m sure you’d like to check out my simple SEO tips for beginners. This guide is easy to implement and detailed. I’m sure it would be of great benefit to you and your blogging pals.
My guide on how to write a good blog post explains into detail all the steps involved in writing not just an article, but one that is seen by your audience, ranked by search engine, and which is evergreen. Meaning; it’s going to stand the test of time.
How to Write a Good Blog Post Format [All The Steps Involved in Writing a Successful Blog Post]
1. Brainstorm Ideas for Your Blog PostThink about the blog post you want to write. Find more about that topic and make sure you have enough to write about. Also, look out for competition and see if you can outrank your competitors.
Coming up with ideas for a blog post can be difficult. If that’s the case, you can check out my list of awesome blog post ideas for most niches. You can also find blog post ideas on Google Trend, Social Media, Answer the Public, among others. You can also spy on your competitors by typing site, column, and competitor’s website in Google search. (eg. site:osperus.com)
2. Do a Keyword ResearchWhen doing a keyword research, there are many keyword tools that come to mind. If you’re unsure about which tool to use or can’t afford to pay for a premium tool, you can use a list of free tools to plan your blog post. Google Keyword Planner, Keyword.io are free to use.
Be sure to choose keywords that have more searches per month and are less competitive. This make it easy for you to rank and drive traffic to your blog or website.
3. Write a Good Blog Post TitleWriting great blog post titles are a must. This is not only good for SEO but it also attract readers. Let me make this clear enough. Your blog post headlines create a first impression about your blog post.
This is why it is so important to add power words when writing a blog post title or headline. Power words have been proven to evoke emotions. Power words can be negative or positive and you can use it as long as it makes sense to your blog post.
Adjectives are also my go-to strategy for putting up a blog post. You can chose to break your title into two or include the year to make it look more fresh or current.
4. Write a Blog Post OutlinePut your thoughts into a write-up. Now that you have the best blog post title, it’s time to outline every topic; big or small that you’d like to cover or comment on in your blog post. List your blog outline from an introduction to conclusion in a structure form and see how best you can fill in the blanks.
5. Decide on Word CountStudies suggest that writing lengthy blog post articles do very well in search engine as well as determines how well you’re rank in terms of position or on search pages.
The ideal write-up should have at least 1000 words. If you can write more, fine. If you can’t, great. It’s better to write short informative blog posts than a lengthy blog post which is barely useful or contains misleading information. so, basically, writing 400-700 words is so much better than writing a 5000 word blog post with no information.
6. Sketch a DraftIt’s time to start writing on the topic you chose. Based on your blog post outline above, which looks pretty good easy. You now have an idea of how your blog post should be like and all the sub topics you’d like to write on. Follow the blog post structure and write a sentence or two for each subheading.
7. Optimize Your Blog Post for SEOSearch engine optimization or better known as SEO is an important ranking factor. Focusing on on-page SEO can help you write a good blog post that get seen by your target audience. On-page SEO tips for blog post include;
- Make use of keywords. (Keyword should be placed in the first paragraph of your blog post article, in between and at the end.
- Make sure your blog post title has your target keyword.
- Your URL (permalink) should have your keyword. (important)
- All images should have titles and alt tags.
- Format your blog post using H1, H2, H3 & H4 tags.
- Write a good SEO Meta description for your blog post. Make sure it has your target keyword.
- Use anchor text
- Internal linking is awesome.
8. Proofread Your Blog PostYou’re almost done! After you’re done writing your soon to be successful blog post, you need to proofread before you hit the publish button. You can simply ask someone close to you to have a lot at your blog article and read through to make sure that you’re on point.
Another way to proofread a blog post article is to use Grammarly. Grammarly is awesome. Both free and paid versions are great. If you can’t afford the paid version, simple go to your browser’s app store and install Grammarly on your browser. Once you’re down, you can start editing your blog post.
9. Format Your Blog PostWhen formatting a blog post, bear in mind that it’s simply making it readable. Adding a format to your blog articles will make readers easily migrated through your post and find what they’re looking for. To do so, for my simple principle. These are;
Add table of contents
- Add images
- Add videos
- Use tables & Reference if any
- Use H1 to H4 tags if necessary
- Use bullets & Lists
- Add a call to attention
10. All Clear: Publish Your Blog PostYou’re awesome! You just wrote a good blog post that’s going to drive tons of traffic to your blog.
Now, there’s nothing more to do than hit the publish button. After, you hit the publish button, you’re done. But, maybe not! You can do one last thing after publishing. SHARE! SHARE!! SHARE!!! Share your blog post to friends and followers by using your email newsletter or social media platforms to get the word out.
That’s the easiest way to turn a good blog post into a successful blog post.
Bottom LineNow that you know how to write a good blog post, what’s next?
In conclusion, a good blog post should be; easy to read, have a focus keyword, related keywords, meet on-page SEO best practices, have a catchy title or headline and most importantly should be proofread.
Hey there! Need some HELP?
Let me help you start a profitable blog. I started blogging since 2017 (officially) and yes, I make money blogging. It's simple if you get things right from the word GO! If you want to learn how I make money blogging, subscribe to my blog for all the freebies and resources. Want my services? I offer; pinterest pins template, media kit design, copywriting, social media design templates, among others.Contact Us Our Services Our Portfolio Client Raves